|Essay Writing Tips|
|Search All Tutors|
Once you publish your FindTutorsNearMe Scholarship Essay, you will not be able to make any changes to it. Here’s five important things to do to make sure your essay is perfect before you publish it. Writing an essay can feel a little daunting for many of us.
Luckily, we’re here to help you with six important tips so you can stay focused and confident, and write the best essay possible.
- Stay Focused on the Topic: First and foremost, make sure you're answering the right question. This year we want you to tell us about a person who inspired you and how he or she did it. Make sure you stay on topic. We will reject essays that are not focused on that topic.
- Be Yourself: We want to hear about you! Tell us about what makes you different and unique, and let us know what you’re passionate about. Also don’t rely on a thesaurus and avoid words that aren’t a part of your everyday vocabulary. We want you to write in your own voice, so your personality can shine through.
- Choose the Right Words: Our scholarship essay allows for 300 words and no more. Make sure every word counts. Don't write a lengthy introduction and try to cram the body of your essay in the last 100 words. Make sure your essay is specific and focused.
- Edit Your Essay: your essay is a crucial step in ensuring your success. Editing isn’t just fixing typos, but also making sure your essay is personal and unique—and is something you’re proud to share! 4 steps for editing: (a) Check that your essay is focused and on topic, (b) Make sure your essay feels personal and unique (c) Read your essay out loud to make sure it flows nicely (d) Fix any grammar or spelling errors.
- Share, Share, Share: We want everyone to show off their best work. Before you submit your essay, ask for constructive criticism from at least one other person. And once you've submitted your essay, be sure to tell your friends and family to vote (finalists are determined by popular vote!). Take advantage of social networks like Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter. Also ask people to help you promote it to their friends and family. By reaching a larger audience of people you might not even know, you’ll have a better chance at winning. Find out the best ways to share your essay. See tips ›