So, how well do you know the American Revolution?
Here’s an easy short quiz to test your knowledge of the American Revolution. Following the questions are the answers, but don’t scroll down so quickly. Actually try to answer the questions to see if you know the answers.
American Revolution Quiz Questions
1. Thomas Paine wrote ____________________ in 1776, an instant bestseller that sold hundreds of thousands of copies to a population that numbered less than four million.
2. The Declaration of Independence was written primarily by ___________________, who was aided by John Adams and Benjamin Franklin.
3. The Declaration of Independence was approved by the Second Continental Congress and signed by John Hancock on July 4, 17____.
4. American General _______________________ became an “admiral” when he built a flotilla of wooden ships to face a British advance through Valcour Bay.
5. The British prime minister during the American Revolution was Lord _________.
6. The first submarine ever used in warfare was named the _______________.
7. The Bonhomme Richard, Captain John Paul Jones commanding, defeated the HMS ______________, in Jones’s most famous engagement, where he allegedly cried: “I have not yet begun to fight!”
8. On Christmas Night 1776, General George Washington crossed the Delaware and attacked the Hessians at _______________, New Jersey. His victory there, followed by another at Princeton, saved the American Revolution.
9. The overall turning point of the American Revolution came at ____________________, where British General John Burgoyne was forced to surrender his army to American General Horatio Gates.
10. With the war stalemated in the North, the British turned their focus southward and captured Charleston, South Carolina, when General ______________________ surrendered the American army charged with defending it.
American Revolution Quiz Answers
Okay, here we go…
1. Common Sense
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. July 4, 1776
Okay, those three were easy. Now, let’s see how you did on the rest…
4. Benedict Arnold
5. Lord North
6. The Turtle
7. The Serapis
10. Benjamin Lincoln
How did you do?
If you achieved a perfect score, you are a Revolutionary War scholar.
If you missed 1-3 questions, your knowledge is impressive, though not perfect.
If you missed 4-5 questions, you’re rusty, and need to watch more History Channel specials on the Revolution.
If you missed 6-7 questions, get an american history tutor right away!
If you missed more than 7, then hopefully, you’re not registered to vote. 🙂